KEY MESSAGES FROM LECTURE 1: Prof Joseph Ana emphasized that:
- The specific objective for creating the Pillar on ‘RISK MANAGEMENT’ is to turn consultation rooms, wards, theatres and other spaces in the health facility into Transparency Centres for building patient / user / public confidence, trust and support for the health professions, and for the health system as a whole.
- The 12-Pillar clinical governance programme (12-PCGP) ensures that health facilities are ‘good enough for the Leaders and all other Nigerians to use confidently when they need medical care’. (CRSMOH Health Plan 2004)
- The 12-PCGP is based on evidence, homegrown and bespoke for Lower, Low, and Middle Income Countries (LLMIC) like Nigeria, in view of the countries’ developmental deficits, due to poor prioritization of healthcare in general, including the missing foundational pillars without which Quality Health Care cannot be achieved, namely: *Law / Policy/Management, *Funding Mix* Infrastructure, *Equipment, and *Utilities and WASH/Ambience.
- The definition of 12-PCGP that has made the concept understood and supported in LLMICs, like Nigeria is: ‘’an overarching framework for ‘’Protecting Patients, Supporting Practitioners In Tandem’. It must be multidisciplinary, multispecialty, multisectoral in practice/implementation!
- The 12-PCGP is Nigeria’s greatest Healthcare export today!
- The Lack of / poor Risk Management has severe and costly consequences for all: practitioners; patients, the system!!. And he cited an example out of several : https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/994234?ecd=WNL_trdalrt_pos1_ous_230713_etid5633294&uac=156025PN&impID=5633294out