KEY Messages from the Lecture 2: Dr Louis Alekwe emphasized, that :
- ‘Clinical Effectiveness is one of the pillars of clinical governance and it describes a range of activities that support clinicians and healthcare professionals to examine and improve the quality of care: Doing the right thing at the right time to the right patient!. It’s a measure of the extent to which an intervention works; involves using the best available evidence in clinical decision making. And It leads to Improved patient outcomes, Efficient use of scarce resources, Evidence-based practice, Patient-centered care, and Continuous improvement’.
- The components of the pillar include the practice of evidence based medicine, patient centred care, and quality improvement.
- Implementation of the pillar requires communication, care coordination, evaluation and benchmarking
- Measurement of these attributes of the pillar include: clinical audit by all, benchmarking ( comparing your outcome with similar institutions from within Nigeria and outside! Measuring indices such as mortality and morbidity rates, patient experience and complains, cost -effociency-effectiveness, etc.
- There are challenges to implementing clinical governance including this pillar: resistance to changing the old order, cost implications, difficulty to get others to participate in benchmarking ( Lily Hospital had to go abroad to Ghana to get a partner hospital for its Benchmarking), and so on.
- Quality pays much more than the cost in implementing clinical governance!!
TAKE HOME MESSAGES:
- 12-Pillar Clinical Governance Programme (12-PCGP) is multidisciplinary, multisectoral health sector & system (Vertical, Horizontal, Bottom-up).
- Definition and Scope of 12 Pillar Clinical Governance (‘Protecting patients, supporting practitioners in Tandem’)
- Achieving ‘putting patients first’ through 12 Pillar Clinical Governance Programme
- Facility Board, Management, Staff - in place and proactive.
- mission, vision, values
- score cards for ensuring compliance at every level
- supportive supervision, mentoring, monitoring and evaluation (SSMM&E)
- Less TALK More ACTION – transforming Facilities to
Perform, be Safe and deliver Quality